J. Daniel Sharp is a partner in Crowell & Moring's San Francisco office, and a member of the firm's Litigation Group. Mr. Sharp practices in trial and appellate courts and arbitration in several specialized fields, including real estate and mortgage banking, professional liability, corporate control disputes, insurance coverage, and the representation of individual investors, corporate officers, and directors.
Prior to joining Crowell & Moring, Mr. Sharp was a partner with the San Francisco firm of Folger Levin & Kahn LLP. He joined that firm after clerkships with Judge John T. Noonan, Jr., of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and Judge Charles A. Legge, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
- Representing a private investment manager in commercial arbitration proceedings resulting in recovery of a $24 million award for breach of contract, conversion, and breach of fiduciary duty, including substantial punitive damages. Case reported at Bosack et al. v. Soward, 573 F.3d 891 (9th Cir. 2009).
- Representing a life insurance company on appeal. Obtained reversal of $6 million jury verdict for negligence, bad faith, and breach of contract.
- Representing a multi-billion dollar private company in a breach of contract and valuation dispute over $400 million in stock. Obtained summary judgment and affirmance on appeal for client.
- Representing a prominent Silicon Valley law firm in a legal malpractice action involving a merger transaction. Obtained summary judgment in favor of the law firm, and affirmance of the judgment in the California Court of Appeal.
- Representing technology law firm in avoid disclosure of privileged communications. Case reported at Venture Law Group v. Superior Court (Singhania) 118 Cal. App. 4th 96 (2004)
- Representing a financial institution in contract and tort litigation with developers over 13 residential real estate projects. Obtained a $64 million judgment in favor of the client after a combined jury/bench trial, and affirmance of the judgment on appeal.
- Representing various public and privately held real estate developers in connection with financing and contract disputes.
- Representing a private equity fund in contract litigation concerning the sale of a radio station.
- Representing various attorneys and law firms in connection with professional responsibility issues, including law firm transitions and claims of legal malpractice.
- Representing a guarantor in judicial foreclosure proceedings brought by a commercial finance company. Obtained a judgment of nonsuit at a bench trial, and negotiated a favorable settlement on appeal.
- Representing a private real estate investor in a contract and partnership dispute involving a portfolio of office buildings. Obtained summary judgment in federal district court, and affirmance of the judgment in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representing the California Judicial Council in appellate proceedings.